Electrical Engineer (Secondary)230842
DisciplineElectrical Engineer (Secondary)
Primary LocationNorth Shore & Northern Beaches, New South Wales, Australia
UGL is a leading provider of end-to-end engineering, construction and maintenance services. UGL is active across rail and transport, communications and technology systems, oil and gas, power and resources, water and defence markets. UGL partners with some of the world’s largest blue-chip companies and government agencies, private enterprises and public institutions.
UGL’s skilled workforce, expertise in project management and end-to-end engineering, is backed by a continuous focus on safety, innovation and improvement.
UGL has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Electrical Engineer – (Secondary) with highly developed expertise in Power Systems, to join our business, working on some strategic, Renewable energy projects.
This is a challenging role for someone with strong detail design experience who wants to be involved within the Power Systems space and experience with the Design and Construct of power systems related to substations and their physical layouts.
The key areas of this role will be:
- Plan and conduct professional engineering work without direct supervision
- Apply UGI design methodology and contract data information control systems to ensure accuracy, consistency and standardisation of design within a project.
- Consult, recommend and advise on specialist engineering areas
- Check design work for technical accuracy and adequacy
- Supervise and co-ordinate multi-disciplined design activities
- Perform the function of Design (Package) Leader when required
- When required, plan and monitor the progress of design for tenders and projects in accordance with Position Description for ‘Project Design Manager’
- Make customer and site visits to ascertain customer and site requirements
- Provide technical support to the Business Development, Tendering and Construction branches as required.
- Perform duties in accordance with documented Company procedures
- Perform design checking
- Assist with site testing and commissioning of plant
- Provision of comprehensive and accurate design through adherence to Company documented procedures and the project Design Plan
- Close coordination with drafting staff
- Close attention to design interface coordination with other disciplines
- Comprehensively check designs prepared by other engineers
- Provision of on time and on budget design by monitor progress against the Design Delivery Schedule
- Ensure corrective measures are taken to improve time and cost when required
- Develop new design, engineering, or construction techniques within the discipline to improve effectiveness or efficiency of design or construction activities
Requirements to succeed in this position:
- Experience in designing high voltage power systems for large industrial plants
- Experience in protection, substation and Low Voltage
- Utility experience (Power or Water)
- Demonstrated knowledge of MCC, Max demand, Cable sizing, Australian Standards
- Demonstrated skills and experience in Secondary system design concept to final detailed design
- Understanding of Secondary systems from component level through to full system design
- Experience in a "Design-for-Construction' environment
- Site experience as a project engineer or commissioning engineer
- Technical staff supervision experience
- Computer literacy and proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of software packages
- Design of HV transmission (66kV and above) substations primary (physical aspects) and protection systems
- Communication system design and implementation experience
- Design of plant automation systems
- Site based project engineering experience
- Involvement in industry regulatory associations and interest groups
As a global, multi-disciplined company, we are looking for strong achievers who strive for results and are passionate about developing their expertise and building a successful career.
Applications are open to all Australian citizens and permanent residents, and New Zealand citizens.
We encourage and promote diversity and inclusion, and welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, age, disability and ethnicity including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.